Wednesday 15 February 2012

Number 1

So Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him, "Get rid of the foreign gods you have with you, and purify yourselves and change your clothes. Then come, let us go up to Bethel, where I will build an altar to God, who answered me in the day of my distress and who has been with me wherever I have gone"
This passage of scripture is found in Genesis 35. Jacob has returned to the land his family is from and has now gone to Bethel where God appeared to him previously.
It amazed me to think that Jacob's household had foreign gods to get rid of. I have read this passage before and not really taken any notice of this, but you would've thought that a home that served and worshipped God wouldn't have any idols to get rid of. 
This got me thinking about our worship. Do we come before the Lord purified? Do we enter His presence knowing that we serve another god? I don't mean that we have a house full of statues that we bow down to in secret, but I do mean that the things that consume our lives can so often get in the way of our worship to God. 
Our God is an awesome god. He is the creator of the universe. He is also a jealous god and so therefore we should serve Him and Him alone. When we come before Him, whether in church, prayer or in service, we need to make sure that He is the only god in our lives. We need to get rid of all the stuff that might take us into idolatry. This could be anything from family, finance, work, shopping, television, reading whatever our lives revolve around if we put God in second or third place then we are worshipping other things.
Let's purify ourselves today and get rid of the idols in our lives. Let's make God number 1

No comments:

Post a Comment