Wednesday 12 October 2011

Grace

I've started to read 1 Timothy today. This once again is a letter of Paul, although this time its not to a church but instead its to a person, his friend, and son in Christ, Timothy.
Paul writes these words,
I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 
Paul wrote these words about himself, however they are just as relevant to us today. God pours out His grace and mercy on us daily even though we don't deserve it. We are sinners saved by God's grace. The salvation that we have is not earned, its freely given, all we have to do is receive it. I just want to thank God today and everyday, for the grace that He has given me. 
I'm reminded of a song that we sing at church which goes, 
When I was lost you came and rescued me
Reached down into the pit and lifted me
O Lord, such love: I was as far from you as I could be
You know all the things I've ever done
But Jesus' blood has cancelled every one
O Lord, such grace, to qualify me as your own 
What an amazing God I serve. He came and rescued me from my life of nothingness. He took a life that was meaningless and gave me grace, hope, love and salvation - and all for free! 

No comments:

Post a Comment