Saturday 29 October 2011

Jesus - The only Sacrifice

Hebrews 8 speaks of Jesus bringing in the New Covenant, that is the new law, the new way to live. Under the old law, there had to be a sacrifice for the forgiveness of sin. The person that needed forgiveness would take a sacrifice to a priest and then the priest would offer the animal or grain to God as atonement for whatever the person had done. If the person did the same thing again, he would repeat the sacrifice and so it went on. This became more of a religious ceremony than something that they did for God. This became more of an outward showing of being sorry than actually being sorry, which is why God brought in the New.
Under the new law, the debt for sin was and is paid once and for all. Jesus died just the once, so that the sin of the world would be dealt with. This means that we no longer have to make a sacrifice for the things that we have done. It means that all we have to do is come before the Throne of Grace and ask for His forgiveness. How glad am I that I live this side of the cross? Let's face it, if I didn't things would not look too great for me. Firstly the thought of having to kill anything bigger than a spider doesn't make me feel overly enthusiastic, and secondly, as a gentile woman I would be so far down the chain of blessing that the only person lower than me would be a gentile girl child.
I really am so blessed and grateful for being born this side of the cross. I just want to take the opportunity to thank God right here and now for what He has done for me through the death and resurrection of Jesus.
Jesus was the Ultimate sacrifice. God doesn't ask for religious ceremonies, He doesn't require us to put on a show of being sorry. All He asks is that we accept Jesus as Lord and Saviour and follow Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment