Sunday 9 October 2011

Thankful?

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful
On reading this last chapter in Colossians I asked myself the following questions:
How much do I pray?
How thankful am I?
Paul tells us that we should devote ourselves to prayer. How devoted are we? Do we only pray when we need help or are going through some hardship? We need to be praying all the time, we need to share our lives with God through prayer. Its all about communication. If you don't communicate with others then there is no relationship, likewise, if there is no communication with the Lord then there is no relationship.
Paul also tells us in this passage that we should be thankful. How thankful are we? 
It was our Harvest service today at church. I know that this is the time of year that we thank God for what we have, however I really had a revelation this morning. I know that what I'm about to say isn't new and isn't brain surgery, but I do believe its an important statement. 
WE NEED TO THANK GOD FOR WHAT WE HAVE AND WHAT HE'S DONE ALL THE TIME! 
When was the last time we just wanted to thank God for the everyday things, the mundane, the stuff that we take for granted? When was the last time that we prayed just to thank God for who He is and left the shopping list on hold? We so often forget to thank God and just pray for our needs and the needs of others, and sometimes even just our wants. I know that it says in scripture that God will give us the desires of our hearts, but this doesn't mean that He is Father Christmas and so just gives us stuff. We need to remember that when we pray we are talking to the creator of the universe. We are communicating with the Saviour of the world. Let's give God the respect He deserves and give Him praise and thanks for who He is and everything He's done. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment