Saturday 21 May 2011

The same but different

My bible study today is once again in 1 Samuel. The people are asking Samuel for a King, and Sam is not too happy. In fact Sam prays to God and I guess he was expecting God to say no, but he didn't, in fact God tells Sam to give the people what they want.
The people want to be the same as everyone else, they want Israel to have the same as the other countries.
The people refused to listen to Samuel. “No!” they said. “We want a king over us. Then we will be like all the other nations, with a king to lead us and to go out before us and fight our battles.”
This can be so true of us today. It's so easy to get into the mindset of wanting to fit in. This is true of young and old people. We all want to be part of something, we all want to be in the gang, we don't want to stand out in a bad way. 
Jesus was different though. He did stand out of the crowd. He did things that wasn't conventional. He asks us to do the same. We need to be in the world but not of the world. We need to make sure that even though we might look like others, that we act like Jesus.
I want to be different for God; I want to make a difference in the world for the Kingdom.  I want to make sure that I don't fit in so much that people don't realise that I am a Christian.  

No comments:

Post a Comment