Sunday 1 May 2011

No Selling aloud!

In today's passage of John, we find Jesus getting angry in the Temple. He drives the market stall owners from the temple courts. He couldn't stand the way His Father's house was being treated. The Temple was a place of worship not a place of shopping.
How do I come into the house of God? Do I come to worship or do I come to meet others? Do I come to worship or chat? When I come into God's house I want to be able to encounter him, not the person next to me. I want to be able to step into his presence and worship him, not chat about what happened on telly the other night.
However it can be so easy to fall into the trap of just going to church and not giving God a second thought until the first chord of the first hymn or song is played. We can be so busy with church business or even with getting to church that we forget why we're going there in the first place! 
Let's try to come into God's presence with the right attitude. Let's try and come into church not just to listen to the preacher, or sing some songs and pray some prayers, but instead lets come expectant before and amazing, awesome God, who so desperately wants to be part of our lives that he took our punishment for our sin. Let's come before God each week with reverence and awe and wonder for who he is and what he did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment