Tuesday 21 June 2011

Acts 14 - Be a Berean!

Today we read about Paul and Barnabas once again. They are in a place called Lystra and there they heal a man that has been crippled from birth. The people find out about the miracle and believe that Paul and Barnabas are gods and so they want to sacrifice to them.

This can happen even today. Not necessarily in the same way but never the less it still happens. Many people worship idols without even realising it. We worship television, books, shopping, friends, family, famous people, sport, gadgets, the list is endless. Whatever we put before God, we worship. If we watch telly so much that we squeeze out our time with the Lord, then we are worshipping telly, and so it is with anything that we put before God.   

This also can be the case with preachers. We can follow certain preachers and take on board everything they say without testing it. Many people follow famous preachers like celebrities and hang on their every word. I'm not saying that we shouldn't listen to them, but I am saying that we need to get into the word of God and find out for ourselves. 
A few years ago I needed advice about something. I can't remember what it was for, but I spoke to my dad and asked his advice. He told me something that I still take into consideration today. He told me to be as the Bereans were in the Bible. The Bereans were a people that listened intently to what the disciples said, but they didn't accept it unless it was scriptural. They tested EVERYTHING! We too need to be the same. Let's not worship others, lets not worship things, lets just worship the creator of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment