Tuesday 15 November 2011

Called by God

In the first chapter of 2 Peter, Peter says something that I found really interesting. It's not something that I would've said was the key to the chapter but it has made me think. It's verses 10-11 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. 
I believe that we all have a calling on our lives, not necessarily the same calling, but nevertheless a calling. Some are called to preach, some to teach, some to pastor etc...In these verses Peter tells us to make every effort to confirm our calling. We need to know what God has called us to do. In the great commission, Jesus commands us to go and make disciples of ALL men, however He doesn't tell us in what capacity at that point. 

The other day I was speaking with someone about the fact that God gives us the desires of our heart. My friend went on to say that this doesn't necessarily mean that He gives us what we want. What it does mean though it that He gives us HIS desires for us in our hearts, and so that means that our desires originally come from Him. They are birthed in us through the power of God's Spirit.
If someone had told me 8 years ago when I became a Christian that I would be employed in full time ministry telling children in church and schools about Jesus, I can honestly say I wouldn't have believed it. I know that this is the desire of my heart, but at that point in my life it was not. God gave me the desire to tell others about Jesus, and now I love to do it. It is my calling, to tell those I meet about my Saviour. 
I wonder, what is your calling? Do you know yet? The exciting thing about not knowing what God has in store for you is the fact that He has got something amazing just for you to do up His sleeve ready to be birthed in you!
I know that God has called me to the lost whether children or adult, but the exciting thing is how He chooses to do it. Let's remember that God calls us into His ministry. It's scary at times, its strange at times, but I know one thing - I wouldn't change it for the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment