Monday 14 March 2011

Let's look at Luke!



I've finished Leviticus and after having 48 hours feeling unwell I'm back to the blogg. I've decided to start thinking about a new testament book this time, as each day I read a passage of scripture from the old and the new testaments. So today I'm starting in Luke!
Today's reading is Chapter 1:1-25. I've probably read this passage of scripture hundreds of times, and I think sometimes that familiarity can be a bad thing as you miss things because you are skim reading instead of actually reading. 
I guess when we read the story of Christmas this can happen quite a bit. I love asking the questions: 
How many wise men were there and what did the shepherds bring Jesus, to the children in School and watch their faces when I reveal that we don't know how many wise men and it doesn't say that the shepherds brought a lamb. I guess we have listened to the Christmas carols so much that we forget to look at the word.
Anyway, back to the passage. The thing I love about this story is that God sends Gabriel to tell Zechariah that his wife is going to have a baby, and when he finds out he doesn't believe it as she is too old. God can do anything! Zechariach doubts God and so doubts God's power and authority. He is struck dumb from that moment until John is born as punishment for his disbelief. 
The thing that struck me about this is how often do I doubt God? How often does God tell me something and I have to question him? He could strike me dumb on a daily basis sometimes, as whenever he tells me to do something, I always say - are you sure? I don't think I can do that...I know one thing, I can learn a lot from Zechariah, he doubted God and got quietened down because of it!
If we doubt God, then he will use someone else. He wants people that trust him completely, and want to do his will. If people like Billy Graham said, well God I don't think this evangelism thing is for me, then there would be millions of people in a different situation right now, or even God would've asked someone else and Billy would've missed out on the journey of his life!
We all need to be prepared to do as God asks of us, even if it is difficult. We need to be obedient to him, lets face it, he has the whole jigsaw in front of him, we are only wandering about with our one small piece of Jigsaw!

No comments:

Post a Comment