Tuesday 15 March 2011

We are blessed!



Today's passage of Luke is still in chapter 1 and is the song of Mary. Mary is visiting her cousin Elizabeth who is also pregnant. She then sings this prayer and to me shows how blessed she feels.
This made me think, how often when God asks me to do something do I feel blessed? More often or not when God asks us to do something it generally means that we have to get out of the boat and do something different. It can mean doing something that we don't necessarily want to do or even feel comfortable to do. In the passed God has told me so clearly to do things and I have taken a few days or even sometimes longer to actually do it! In fact in most cases I end up having an internal argument with God, because I'm thinking that I might not have heard him correctly because its something that is going to be difficult. 
A few months ago, the Lord clearly told me to do something that I felt was going to be particularly hard, and I kept asking him to tell someone else to tell me to do it! In the end the Lord said to me, "My sheep know my voice!" I realised that if I really knew him that I didn't have to question if I'd heard from him, I just had to trust him that he was in control of the situation, so I did what he asked!
Anyway, back to Mary. She wasn't asked if she wanted to be pregnant, she was told she would have a baby, and as I said yesterday, he would be the most important baby ever to be born - the CREATOR of the world in human flesh! (Still blows me away that one!) She as we read yesterday didn't argue, she just got on with it, but more than that she felt blessed. Mary was put into a dangerous position, but she still felt blessed by God. Let's face it she was blessed, we know that now, but at the time she felt blessed to be chosen for such a task by God himself. It really shows what kind of person Mary was. She was chosen by God because she loved God, because she could handle it!
When God asks us to do anything, we should feel blessed, not bothered! We should praise God for asking us. When God calls us to do something however small or large, we should praise him, as he has PERSONALLY called us for that task. God knows what I am capable of, he knows what I can accomplish and what I am not able to accomplish, and so when he asks me to do something its because he knows that I'm up to the task.
Mary didn't look at the obstacles she just got on with the plan of God.  I think sometimes we look too much at the obstacles and don't look at what God has planned. Let's go forward with this blessing today - whatever God puts in our path lets feel blessed that he's asked us to do it, as lets face it he could've asked someone else. He knows everything about us, lets be like Mary and trust in him completely and thank him for the blessing and challenges ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment